News listings

energy-pedia development and production

Ecuador flagEcuador

South America / GoM >>> Ecuador

Ecuador: Sinopec to create oil joint venture to develop block 42


26 Nov 2009

Photo - see caption

Ecuador and China will form a joint venture to develop an oil block in the South American country that has proven reserves of 120 million barrels of crude, an Ecuadoran official said yesterday. Germanico Pinto, the minister of non-renewable natural resources, announced the creation of a joint venture between Ecuador's state-owned Petroecuador and China's Sinopec International Petroleum at a meeting in Quito with about 20 Chinese business representatives, said a statement.

Pinto said the new company would seek an investment of one billion dollars to explore and exploit Block 42 in the eastern part of the Andean country. Petroecuador was to hold a 60% stake in the joint venture, and Sinopec the remaining 40%.

Ecuador is OPEC's smallest-producing member, pumping out 500,000 barrels of crude a day.

The Andean nation has become an investment magnet for the energy-hungry Asian giant. Companies such as Andes Petroleum y Petroriental have attracted Chinese capital, and Petrochina has signed a two-year contract for crude oil that "assures Ecuador of the sale of its oil," the statement noted.

The Block 42 area is located in the eastern Pastaza province and includes two oilfields with combined proven reserves of 120.1 million barrels of heavy crude.

Source: AFP
 





Bookmark and Share


A global information service for upstream oil and gas opportunities - divestitures, farmins and farmouts and licensing rounds.


Publicly Available Deals

See all deals...

Subscriber Only Deals

Current deals: 1614
Completed deals: 4308

Company Profiles

Current Company Profiles: 2377

Corporate Activity

Current Corporate Activity articles: 2629

Companies Looking

Current number of articles: 406

Company Sales

Current Company Sales articles:1071

Geostudies

Current Geostudies articles: 439

How to subscribe

energy-pedia Jobs

RSS Feed Widget
See all jobs...


energy-pedia Databank

The energy-pedia databank contains links to information on the world financial and energy markets, including share prices, oil and gas prices and the global stock exchanges. Read more...



energy-pedia Glossary

A list of commonly used terms in the oil and gas industry. Read more...

Subscribe

Subscribe to the FREE
energy-pedia Daily Newsletter
Subscribe

Rose & Assocs 149
energy365
Polarcus Logo 149
KL Publishing
Union Jack Oil 149
Bayphase
EP Consult Energies
Lynx Information Systems
count geophysics
About energy-pedia

energy-pedia news is a FREE news service written and edited by E and P professionals for E and P professionals.

We don't just report the news, we give you the technical background as well, with additional information derived from our unique energy-pedia opportunities service.
Contact us

energy365 Ltd

238 High Street
London Colney
St Albans
UNITED KINGDOM

Tel: +44(0)1727 822675

Email: info@energy-pedia.com