Empire Energy will commence drilling the Carpentaria-1 well in Empire’s 100% owned Northern Territory permit EP187 today.
The well will be drilled to a planned depth of ~2,900 metres to allow Empire’s technical team to fully evaluate the two unconventional shale targets, the Velkerri and Kyalla Shales. As previously announced, Netherland, Sewell and Associates, Inc. has independently assessed these targets to have a best estimate prospective resource of 2.4 trillion cubic feet of gas equivalent in Empire’s EP187 permit.
The drilling and formation evaluation campaignis expected to take approx. 40 days. The well design allows for suspension and future re-entry, fracture stimulation and flow testing, which Empire presently expects to commence in Q2 2021.
The drilling program has the following key technical objectives:
- To assess and prove the depth and thickness of the productive target shales (the Velkerri and Kyalla) in Empire’s EP187 permit;
- To understand rock properties, hydrocarbon content, formation permeability and reservoir pressure as they relate to the ability of the shales to produce;
- To gather data to be used for hydraulic stimulation planning and execution;
- To ‘high-grade’ the target shales for vertical and / or horizontal hydraulic stimulation and flow testing planning and execution; and
- To refine the seismic interpretation and further determine prospective hydrocarbon resource estimates within EP187.
To achieve these objectives, a full formation evaluation program will be executed including:
- Measurement While Drilling ('MWD');
- Cuttings samplingand continuous gas analysis;
- Isotube and isojar samplingprogram;
- Wireline logging;
- Large diameter rotary side wall coring; and
- Diagnostic Fracture Injection Testing ('DFIT').
Following completion of the drilling and formation evaluation program, the well will becased and suspended while Empire’s technical team analyses the results and plans the fracture stimulation and flow testing program.
Empire will regularly update shareholders as the Carpentaria-1 drilling program progresses.
Source: Empire Energy