News listings

energy-pedia general news

Iraq flagIraq

Middle East / Africa >>> Iraq

Iraq approves Statoil's sale of West Qurna stake to LUKOIL


07 Mar 2012

Iraq has approved the sale by Norway's Statoil of its minority stake in the West Qurna-2 oil field to LUKOIL, making the Russian firm the sole foreign partner in one of Iraq's biggest new oil projects, two Iraqi oil industry sources said on Wednesday.

Photo - see caption

Statoil will sell its 18.75 percent state in the West Qurna Phase-2 field to LUKOIL, giving the Russian firm a 75 percent stake. An Iraqi state oil company - North Oil Company - owns the other 25 percent. The deal makes Statoil the first big Western oil firm to abandon one of the lucrative oil deals offered by Iraq in recent years.

'Statoil reached an agreement with Lukoil to sell its stake in West Qurna-2, and Iraq's Oil Ministry approved the deal,' an Iraqi oil industry source said. Another Iraqi oil industry source confirmed the deal. 'Statoil has sold its stake to LUKOIL, and LUKOIL now is the sole operator of West Qurna-2,' the second source said.

Statoil confirmed it was in talks to sell the stake and said it would comment fully when the deal was finished. 'Both LUKOIL and Iraqi authorities have previously confirmed that we have initiated a process to transfer our shares in the West Qurna-2 project in Iraq," a spokesman said. "We will inform when this process is complete."

The Norwegian state company has considered quitting Iraq for some time and turning its attention to less risky assets elsewhere, industry sources say. It is planning billions of dollars worth of investments in areas such as offshore Norway and in the United States.

LUKOIL and Statoil sealed the 20-year deal in December 2009 to develop the virgin field. They targeted a plateau output of 1.8 million barrels per day (bpd) in six years.

Iraq has signed several oil deals to develop its vast oil fields, which target capacity of 12 million bpd by 2017. Infrastructure bottlenecks and bureaucratic hurdles make achieving a target of 6 million bpd look ambitious, but the deals are still expected to make Iraq one of the world's biggest sources of new oil in the next few years.

Iraq's oil production has been held back by decades of war and sanctions, but officials say they now expect it to rise quickly. Iraq said this week its production had reached 3 million bpd for the first time since 1979.

See related article: Statoil seeks Iraq's OK to sell West Qurna-2 oil field stake

Original article link

Source: Reuters





Bookmark and Share


A global information service for upstream oil and gas opportunities - divestitures, farmins and farmouts and licensing rounds.


Subscriber Only Deals

Current deals: 1677
Completed deals: 5109

Company Profiles

Current Company Profiles: 2629

Corporate Activity

Current Corporate Activity articles: 3198

Companies Looking

Current number of articles: 424

Company Sales

Current Company Sales articles:1324

Geostudies

Current Geostudies articles: 617

How to subscribe

energy-pedia Jobs

RSS Feed Widget
See all jobs...


energy-pedia Databank

The energy-pedia databank contains links to information on the world financial and energy markets, including share prices, oil and gas prices and the global stock exchanges. Read more...



energy-pedia Glossary

A list of commonly used terms in the oil and gas industry. Read more...

Subscribe

Subscribe to the FREE
energy-pedia Daily Newsletter
Subscribe

Lynx Information Systems
Union Jack Oil 149
EP Consult Energies
KL Publishing
OPC
Rose & Assocs 149
SLR Consulting logo
RSK Logo 149
count geophysics
Government of South Australia
energy365
Geoespace
Bayphase
About energy-pedia

energy-pedia news is a FREE news service written and edited by E and P professionals for E and P professionals.

We don't just report the news, we give you the technical background as well, with additional information derived from our unique energy-pedia opportunities service.
Contact us

energy365 Ltd

238 High Street
London Colney
St Albans
UNITED KINGDOM

Tel: +44(0)1727 822675

Email: info@energy-pedia.com