News listings

energy-pedia exploration

Turkey flagTurkey

Europe / Caspian / CIS >>> Turkey

Turkey: Trillion Energy comments on TPAO's potential super giant gas field discovery proximate to the SASB gas field, offshore Turkey


25 Aug 2020

Photo - see caption

Between 9 and 26 TCF Estimated Discovery Just North of Trillion’s SASB Gas Field, Turkey

Trillion Energy International has commented on a recent discovery made proximate to its South Akcakoca Sub- Basin ('SASB') gas field , offshore Turkey, the Tuna-1 gas field, which is estimated to be the largest natural gas discovery in the Black Sea to date and potentially one of the largest in Europe in recent history. The new Tuna-1 gas discovery (total depth 3,500 metres) opens new possibilities for exploration of deeper horizons on the SASB gas field.

Photo - see caption
Location of Trillion's SASB gas field, offshore Turkey (Source: Trillion Energy)

President & CEO, Dr. Art Halleran comments:

'In light of the recent discovery by our partner TPAO and their proof of massive volumes of natural gas generation from source rocks in the Western Black Sea sedimentary basin the same basin SASB is contained within, we plan to evaluate the geological trends in deeper zones of SASB to identify prospects to drill and test for gas. Seismic has already identified anomalies warranting further assessment where we plan on developing a geological model for potential undiscovered deep gas. Our license rights extend deeper into the SASB Field than what we have ever drilled to date.'

The discovery was made by the Turkish national petroleum company ('TPAO') in the western portion of the Black Sea, and was formally announced by Turkish government officials on August 21, 2020.

The Tuna-1 well was drilled with total well depth planned of 4,525 metres where 100 metres of pay was encountered at a total depth of 3,520 meters. It is expected that an additional 1,000 meters will be drilled to assess two additional structures.

Turkish officials estimated 9 TCF based on the current drilling, with area (250 km2), thickness (500 metres), where log and test results were calculated for 11 TCF of reserves. Turkish officials announced they believe this discovery is a portion of a giant gas field and they will continue to drill to delineate the full extent to the gas field.  Certain media reports cite an expected 26 trillion cubic feet or 800 billion cubic metres gas.

Currently, almost all Turkish gas blocks in the Black Sea are solely owned by TPAO, with the exception of the SASB gas field which is owned 49% by Trillion Energy, with TPAO owning the remaining 51%. Trillion’s SASB gas field license area is approx. 100 km south of the Tuna-1 well.

Historically, US$608 million has been invested to date for the development of the SASB fields, where gas was discovered at about 1,200 metres depth over a decade ago. SASB has currently produced over 41 BCF of natural gas to date.

Original article link

Source: Trillion Energy





Bookmark and Share


A global information service for upstream oil and gas opportunities - divestitures, farmins and farmouts and licensing rounds.


Subscriber Only Deals

Current Deals

Current Upstream Deals: 363

Completed Deals

Completed Upstream Deals: 5791

Company Profiles

Current Company Profiles: 2737

Corporate Activity

Current Corporate Activity articles: 3541

Companies Looking

Current number of articles: 442

Company Sales

Current Company Sales articles:1438

Geostudies

Current Geostudies articles: 754

How to subscribe

energy-pedia Jobs

RSS Feed Widget
See all jobs...


energy-pedia Databank

The energy-pedia databank contains links to information on the world financial and energy markets, including share prices, oil and gas prices and the global stock exchanges. Read more...



energy-pedia Glossary

A list of commonly used terms in the oil and gas industry. Read more...

Subscribe

Subscribe to the FREE
energy-pedia Daily Newsletter
Subscribe

Government of South Australia
Union Jack Oil 149
Rose & Assocs 149
Bayphase
KL Publishing
SLR Consulting logo
OPC
Geoespace
energy365
About energy-pedia

energy-pedia news is a FREE news service written and edited by E and P professionals for E and P professionals.

We don't just report the news, we give you the technical background as well, with additional information derived from our unique energy-pedia opportunities service.
Contact us

energy365 Ltd

238 High Street
London Colney
St Albans
UNITED KINGDOM

Tel: +44(0)1727 822675

Email: info@energy-pedia.com