Middle East / Africa
Country profile: Congo (Brazzaville)
|Location:||Western Africa, bordering the South Atlantic Ocean, between Angola and Gabon|
|Climate:||tropical; rainy season (March to June); dry season (June to October); persistent high temperatures and humidity; particularly enervating climate astride the Equator|
|Terrain:||coastal plain, southern basin, central plateau, northern basin|
|Size:||342000 sq. km total (Land area: 341500 sq. km Water area: 500 sq.km)|
|Languages:||French (official), Lingala and Monokutuba (lingua franca trade languages), many local languages and dialects (of which Kikongo is the most widespread)|
|Legal system:||based on French civil law system and customary law; has not accepted compulsory ICJ jurisdiction|
|Currency:||Communaute Financiere Africaine franc (XAF); note|
Congo’s hydrocarbon industry is the country’s primary source of economic growth. According to the World Bank, the oil sector accounts for roughly 65 percent of the country’s gross domestic product (GDP), and oil exports account for around 90 percent of total export revenues. Congo’s oil production has grown over the past year and industry analysts predict continued production growth through 2010.
Congo’s energy consumption is dominated by oil (78 percent), with the remainder coming from hydroelectricity (22 percent). Natural gas, coal, nuclear and other renewables are currently not part of the country’s energy consumption mix.
Energy production and consumption
|Production:||235,900 bbl/day||115 million cu m (2005 est.)|
|Consumption:||7,000 bbl/day (2005 est.)||115 million cu m (2005 est.)|
|Exports:||229,700 bbl/day (2004 est.)|
|Imports:||11,410 bbl/day(2004 est.)|
|Reserves:||1 billion bbl (1 January 2006 est.)||86 billion cu m (1 January 2006 est.)|
Congo (Brazzaville) - recent news
|02 Nov 23
||Congo Brazzaville: PGS completes Congo Vision extension
PGS has increased regional coverage of its Congo Vision dataset by targeting deepwater open acreage and facilitating an improved understanding of the prospectivity. The latest phase expands Congo Vision to the south, along strike from significant Angolan fields in the core of the Congo Fan depocenter.
|22 Oct 23
||Eni celebrates sail away of the Tango FLNG and Excalibur FSU vessels to Congo
Eni has celebrated the sail away of the Tango Floating Liquefied Natural Gas (FLNG) and Excalibur Floating Storage Unit (FSU) vessels from Dubai to Congo’s offshore. The milestone aligns with the timeline of the Congo LNG project, whose first phase will startup in December 2023.
|10 Oct 23
||Congo (Brazzaville): PetroNor E&P reports production increase in Q3 2023 and further potential from five new wells
PetroNor E&P has provided an update on the Congo operations related to the PNGF Sud field complex. Third quarter net to PetroNor production was 5,118 bopd, compared with 4,130 bopd in the same period in 2022. All five Tchibeli infill wells have now been drilled, completed and stimulated, two have been put on production with initial rates at or above expectation and one on water injection.
|10 Aug 23
||Congo Brazzaville/GoM: Saipem awarded two new contracts for a total value of around 700 million USD
Saipem has been awarded two new contracts, the first by Eni Congo and the other by bp, for a total value of around 700 million USD. Eni Congo has awarded Saipem a contract for the conversion of he Scarabeo 5 semi-sub drilling unit into a separation and boosting plant. bp has awarded saipem a contract for offshore activities in the Gulf of Mexico. The contract is related to the Argos Floating Production Unit.
|10 Jul 23
||Congo Brazzaville: PetroNor E&P reports half year production growth of 16% and infill drilling ahead of schedule
PetroNor E&P has provided an update on the Congo operations related to the PNGF Sud field complex. For the first half of 2023 average gross production of 30,330 bopd has been achieved. Field performance is supported by strong contributions from the six infill wells on Litanzi and Tchibeli NE drilled in 2022.
Congo (Brazzaville) - more news
Other countries in this region
- Central Africa Republic,
- Congo (Democratic Rep.),
- Cote d'Ivoire,
- Equatorial Guinea,
- Guinea (Republic),
- Guinea Bissau,
- Sao Tome,
- Saudi Arabia,
- Sierra Leone,
- South Africa,
- South Sudan,
- United Arab Emirates,
- Western Sahara,