Middle East / Africa
Country profile: Sudan
|Location:||Northern Africa, bordering the Red Sea, between Egypt and Eritrea|
|Climate:||tropical in south; arid desert in north; rainy season varies by region (April to November)|
|Terrain:||generally flat, featureless plain; mountains in far south, northeast and west; desert dominates the north|
|Size:||2505810 sq. km total (Land area: 2376000 sq. km Water area: 129810 sq.km)|
|Population:||40,218,455 (July 2008 est.)|
|Languages:||Arabic (official), Nubian, Ta Bedawie, diverse dialects of Nilotic, Nilo-Hamitic, Sudanic languages, English. note: program of "Arabization" in process|
|Government:||Government of National Unity (GNU) - the National Congress Party (NCP) and Sudan People's Liberation Movement (SPLM) formed a power-sharing government under the 2005 Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA);|
|Legal system:||based on English common law and Islamic law; as of 20 January 1991|
|Currency:||Sudanese pounds (SDG)|
Sudan is developing its significant hydrocarbon resources. The country’s oil exports, which have increased sharply since the completion of a major oil-export pipeline in 1999, account for 70 percent of total export revenues. Additional growth in Sudan’s hydrocarbon sector will likely occur with a refurbished infrastructure, which has seen little improvement since the beginning of the country’s civil conflicts in 1955. As of January 2007, according to the Sudanese Minister of State for Energy and Mines, Sudan is considering joining the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) at some point in the future. In January 2005, the Sudanese government in Khartoum and the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) in the south signed the Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA), which ended 21-years of civil war.
Prior to the signing, several important issues were agreed upon by the two parties including the sharing of oil revenues (50:50). Also in 2005, President Bashir formed a border commission tasked with defining the border between northern and southern Sudan, in accordance to the CPA. Much of Sudan’s oil producing region lies in the disputed border area. In 2004, Sudan’s energy consumption mix was dominated by oil (93 percent), with the remainder coming from hydroelectricity (7 percent). Natural gas, coal, nuclear and other renewables are currently not part of the country’s energy consumption mix. Between 1984-2004, the share of oil in Sudan’s energy mix increased from 86 percent to 93 percent. Hydroelectricity consumption experienced a decrease, during the same time period, from 14 percent to 7 percent.
Energy production and consumption
|Production:||397,000 bbl/day (2006 est.)|
|Consumption:||79,760 bbl/day (2006 est.)|
|Exports:||279,100 bbl/day (2006 est.)|
|Imports:||7,945 bbl/day (2006 est.)|
|Reserves:||6 billion bbl (2007 est.)|
Sudan - recent news
|04 Nov 18
||Sudan: Lundin Petroleum faces potential corporate fine and forfeiture of economic benefits in relation to past operations in Sudan
Lundin Petroleum has received notification from the Swedish Prosecution Authority that the Company may be liable to a corporate fine and forfeiture of economic benefits in connection with the preliminary investigation into past operations in Sudan from 1997 to 2003.
|19 Apr 18
||Sudan: Stamper Oil & Gas reports 22 percent increase in evaluated reserves to 182 million barrels for Sudan project
Stamper Oil & Gas has announced that Chapman Petroleum Engineering has completed an update on the oil and gas reserves and economics evaluation on the Sudan development prospect in Block 25D and Block 25E. Gross reserves have increased by 22 percent increase to 182 million barrels.
|17 Apr 18
||Sudan: ONGC files arbitration claim against Sudan over unpaid oil dues
The foreign acquisition unit of India’s Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) has filed an arbitration claim against the government of Sudan in a London court, a company official said, seeking to recover dues pending for years from a project hit by the breakaway of South Sudan in 2011.
|05 Nov 17
||Sudan in talks with Norway's Scatec Solar to build solar farm
Sudan is in talks with Norway’s Scatec Solar to build its largest solar power farm, investment minister Mubarak Al-Fadil said, following the lifting of U.S. trade sanctions in October.
Sudan - more news
Other countries in this region
- Central Africa Republic,
- Congo (Brazzaville),
- Congo (Democratic Rep.),
- Cote d'Ivoire,
- Equatorial Guinea,
- Guinea (Republic),
- Guinea Bissau,
- Sao Tome,
- Saudi Arabia,
- Sierra Leone,
- South Africa,
- South Sudan,
- United Arab Emirates,
- Western Sahara,